Sunday 30 June 2013

Visiting shoemakers in Budapest - Vass Shoes - part three

Now the highlight of my Budapest visit was getting to touch and feel the Vass shoe offerings directly from the source itself. Mr. Vass Laszlo is a legend and well known shoe artisan from Budapest Hungary, who did put Hungary on the International map when it comes to classic, timeless, elegant men's shoes made by hand, not in Paris, Milan or London but Budapest. 

On the day of my arrival in Budapest, I had viewed the map incorrectly and was just about to cross the bridge to the Buda side when I realised my blunder, it was during this blunder that I came across the Vass shoe shop in the city centre. Long story short, on my first visit I was met by Mr. Rezso, a very nice & charming and elegantly dressed younger man (in his thirties, I would guess), wearing Vass shoes, need not say. We had a little chat on shoes, but had to be on my way to find my place of residence. My second visit occurred in the early morning hours, meaning at opening hours at 10:00 and I was met by two ladies, Madame Bernadett(e) (younger) and Madame Valerie (older), both very charming and helpful, they allowed me to film/take photos and discussed shoes (Vass shoes) mainly. 

I was shown the very famous lasts (The K-last, U-Last, Peter-Last etc) and the new innovated lasts. I have to admit, I was thrilled and excited to see all these well made shoes in person, now I understand some of those gents who may have only Vass made shoes in their wardrobe. One thing I noted though, was that Vass single sole is thicker than an English single sole, this was not an optical delusion, I compared to my GJ Cleverley's I was wearing. 
Furthermore the Vass shop was offering computer bags in dark brown suede and in tan colour, they simply looked astonishing. I am thinking of getting a bag from them, can not recall the actual price but about 500 Euros, a bargain in my opinion. 

Anyway, I ended up ordering a Balmoral boot in their new French Oxford Boot design (A proto type at then), no cap toe, in the new hide (museum calf called Radica Cognac, I think) which has a heavy antiqued patina in burgundish colour and suede with a brownish touch, the last a Vass U-last.
So, I have five/six weeks to wait.  I am really looking forward to the boot. Will post a blog about this boot very soon.

I will strongly recommend giving Vass a visit when visiting Budapest, the establishment was for me worth the visit. I should have done the visit years ago, but oh... better late than never.  So we cut the talk and let the pictures speak for themselves.


The visitor is greeted by these exquisite window display from the outside of the shop and the Vass Shoes Logo.


Amongst the shoes a brown suede bag, well done and executed.
Cordovan collection at Mr. Vass Laszlo's shop in Budapest












Exotic renditions by Vass
Boot renditions by Vass
A double black calf monk
Ostrich hide three tier Derby

A line up of the usual Vass suspects 

More line up.....
 Small details of the line up

Two toned - exotic and calf balmoral Derby with a stitched cap toe
An exotic single and a double monk from Vass 
Suede loafers as renditioned by Vass shoes (in blue and dark brown suede)
All photos sourced from me (The Shoe Aristo Cat)

No comments:

Post a Comment